The process of estimating the cost of a build project will help you to plan out your build project. Using an online cost calculator will save you time and money, and assist with the management of the project, ensuring that you stay fully on top of the budget.
The quality of materials you decide upon and the build route you choose can mean the difference of tens of thousands of pounds, so it is essential to establish your budget from the outset. Maintaining a detailed budget outline will enable you to understand the financial feasibility of the project. The tricky part is sticking to it! This needn’t be the case anymore, thanks to the online house build cost calculator ProntoCALC. ProntoCALC is one of the latest tools to become available to simplify the build cost estimation process for Builders, Developers, Homeowners, Architects and Self-Builders.
Calculating house building costs using the ProntoCALC Cost Estimator helps you to:
- Calculate budgetary requirements based on build route and product specification choices
- Establish how decisions on design, product quality etc. impact overall costs and ultimately, the budget
- Establish what you can and can’t afford before incurring costs by appointing designers
- Manage the build schedule from start to finish, updating changes in specification as you go to recalculate finances to monitor budgets in real time
When planning a build project, you will need to:
· Calculate the square footage of the (potential) build so that you can use this to calculate cost of materials
· Decide upon the quality of finish and class of construction including standard of fixtures and fittings that this will include
· Decide upon the quality of bathroom finishing and construction materials that will be in your specifications
· Calculate the number of doors and windows the property will require
· Decide upon the features you want in your kitchen (eg highest standard of construction in this area of the house could mean custom built cupboards etc and would see the price rise steeply at this point)
When considering a build project, there are various options build routes to choose from, depending upon your budget and the level of input you wish to have throughout the process, this can have a huge impact upon the overall build cost.
- If you are on a tighter budget, you may wish to go down the DIY build route. Building on a DIY basis, will mean that you can remove a large portion of the labour costs and purchase materials directly
- Self-Managed with help from Subcontractors: Hiring tradespeople directly with some DIY input
- Main Contractor and Subcontractors: Hiring a main contractor to complete the structure and the remaining work to be undertaken by subcontractors. In this example, most materials purchased direct from suppliers.
- Main Contractor: Using a main contractor for the complete build. This method will mean that you have the least involvement and they will manage the project from start to finish including purchase of materials
When selecting a main contractor to complete the full build schedule, it is wise to get recommendations and quotations from a variety of builders. If you ensure that any Builders quoting for your project, however big or small, are using the ProntoCALC system, you will have complete transparency and like-for-like quotes to enable easy comparisons to be made, enabling you to pick THE best builder for your project. Once a builder is appointed, the PRO section of the ProntoCALC system allows them to financially manage the project throughout the whole build schedule.
Within the ProntoCALC system, your preferred choice in builder will be able to address changes to specification and design throughout the process to highlight the shifts in cost which will be immediately applied to the system so you will always have accurate financial visibility allowing you to keep to budget throughout the project.
One of the main points for consideration, is the quality of the build in terms of the standard of product specifications that you choose. The product specifications have a huge influence on the overall build costs.
Your decision to specify standard, good or excellent quality products throughout the build will steer the size of budget that will be required. Should your choices / specifications change during the build, the build costs will shift one way or another. The PronotoCALC system allows you the flexibility to alter fixtures and fittings from all areas of the project and will re-calculate the budget so that you have an accurate, real-time handle on the costs being incurred.
If you are planning a build project, sign-up for a free 60 -Day trial of the ProntoCALC build cost calculator today: www.prontocalc.com
Extra fees to factor in to the budget when planning your build project:
- Legal Fees
- Stamp Duty and Land Tax
- Environment Site Surveys
- Designer’s Costs
- Structural Engineers’ Fees
- Planning Application Fees
- Building Regulations Fees
- Self-build Insurances
- Demolition Costs
ProntoCALC allows builders and self-builders to easily calculate costs involved when building an extension, new build, barn conversion or other types of building work. It makes it quicker and easier for you to manage the budget throughout the build schedule and keep on track on finances along the way.